Dodong-seowon

Korean Neo-Confucian Academies

a demonstration of the systemization of education through its detailed regulations.

View from front

Established in 1605 and located in Dalseong County within Daegu Metropolitan City, Dodong-seowon faces north at the foot of Mt. Daenisan and looks out over Nakdonggang River.

Suwollu pavilion

The academy represents the characteristics ofseowon in Korea that strike a superb harmony with the natural landscape and make ideal use of sloping topography to arrange their buildings. The aesthetic embellishments here reached the fullest extent of Neo-Confucian beauty, including the adornments on the stylobates and fences, and the artistic designs limited to the minimum space required.

Jungjeongdang lecture hall

The academy enshrines the spiritual tablet of Kim Goeng-pil (1454-1504). He symbolizes the devotion ofsarimto teaching future generations of Neo-Confucian scholars. Among the diverse theories, he highlighted practical ethics, making Dodong-seowon into a scholastic center of Neo-Confucian practice. JeongGu (1543-1620) was additionally venerated in 1678. He was leading sarimfor yehak, or the study of propriety, in the southeastern region of the nation during the 17th century. He initiated the establishment of Dodong-seowon and stipulated its rules.

Shrine


Outer fence (Treasure No. 350)